Friday, July 18, 2008

Feeling Bad

I'm feeling a little bad for my lack of blogging. The posts would come more frequently if we had a nice computer with internet sitting in our apartment.
For some more recent news, I finished the three books of the Twilight series about a week ago. When I first heard about the Mormon author and her "Best Selling" books I was intrigued. A few months ago I asked one of my really good friends if she had read them (she reads EVERYTHING). Of course, she had and told me her honest opinion about how she could tell the author was a little ammiture and she didn't like how some things dragged on. She said they were a little too hyped up. Trusting her opinion, as always, I didn't start reading the books. Now, about a month ago another good friend told me she loved them, like many other Mormon females I have run into, so I said to myself, "Why not?!"
Please, no one be offended when I share a few of my following opinions... I agree with my first mentioned friend. Stephanie Meyer really isn't that great at writing. The stories were entertaining, don't get me wrong, but her writing lacked.
Last night we watched a midnight viewing of Batman the Dark Knight. One of the previews was for Twilight that is coming out in December and I honestly think it looks/will be better than the books...that's just my opinion though ;) I will say the books became a little better, in regards to the writing, as I finished the third.
Anyway, about Batman. That movie was AMAZING! I loved it. It has been quite a while since I saw a movie that good, and I watch a lot of movies. Heath Ledger did an amazing job and it is a shame that he took his life with drugs. For those of you who haven't seen the movie, go now.

9 comments:

Clinton and Jessica said...

I too finally gave in to the craze of reading the books and agree completely with your opinion, entertaining story line, but maybe its just suppose to appeal to the much younger group because the writing style wasn't the best. And I have also heard the batman is a must, we almost went last night, but alas, the story of the old married couple with kids....no sitter! Maybe tonight..

Wendy said...

So you caved and read those books, huh? I'm still resisting. Even though the author is Jana's mom's next door neighbor. (Well, not now that she's moved into a big fancy mansion with her millions of dollars.) I need to come up with a good story line that will make up for my lack of writing skills, so I can get some easy money. Any ideas?
I'm going to go see Mamma Mia before the batman one, but good to know it'll be worth my 10 bucks.

Kris said...

So EVERY one around here is reading those books and they (all the wives) have been trying to get me to read them and I have yet to cave in. I hear they are good but again that is a matter of opinion. I think I'll go see the movie, it's much easier on a mom who has no time to commit to reading three books but I can commit to a 2 hour movie :)
Mom told me she went and saw batman and it was a little much for her, she says she's getting too old for those movies, ha ha what ever! I want to see it though and mama mia but I know my hubby won't go see that with me.

Anonymous said...

I still think those books are amazing, I have never had a book (the 1st in paticular, Twilight) that I read in 2-3 days because it was so intriguing, not even any of the Harry Potter books. And for a stay at home mom, I would have to say that she is a pretty good writer if she was able to make it on New York Times best seller. I will say that the 2nd was not that great though. I want to see the new Batman movie so bad, but I hate spending all that money to see a movie I can see in a couple of months for a $1 from redbox, I guess the gas prices are really getting to me ;)!!!

Nycole said...

I am just finishing the 3rd book. Everyone hyped it up for me too! They are releasing the 4th book at midnight in a couple of weeks and my sister-in-law is wanting me to go. I don't even know if I can stay up that late anymore! :) You going to read the 4th one?

Unknown said...

Ha ha I LOVE that I got so many responses for posting about those books...and batman.
To Jessica:
Thanks for backing me up. You are one of the few who agree!
To Wendy:
She came up with pretty much the whole idea from a dream so start sleeping more...it will come!
To Kristin:
Don't waist your time with the books. Hit up the movie Dec 12th!
To Chelsea:
I know you loved them and I did say the story was great...BUT for having a bachelors degree from BYU in English writing she really needs to work on her writing skills :) And being on a "Best Sellers" list just means that people buy the books, it has nothing to do with the actually writing skill. And the Harry Potter books were a millions times better written, (whether you liked the story more or not). J.K. Rowling is an amazing author.
To Nycole:
I have to read the 4th book because I won't know if she FINALLY becomes a freakin vampire or not. I really feel like that part got DRAGGED on!!!

rachel said...

I too agree that the story was good. but i thought that bella would for sure become a vampire in the 2nd book but no....still waiting! It was slow in parts..very slow..than really exciting. I do love Edward and very much hope that they get married and she becomes a vampire. anyway... how is the real city chicago? have you done anything fun? still waiting to see wedding pictures. so sad i missed it by a few days.

Anonymous said...

Post some of those wedding pics I gave you on the CD!! I did like batman, especially Christian Bale, but the bad guy scared me :) I read ALOT and JK Rowling is a great writer! Maybe I shouldn't even attempt the Twilight books, I may be disappointed.

Love, MOM

Gilbert Family said...

Hi Kim...it's Laura (Merideth) Gilbert! I am a stalker of your blog :) and I have yet to leave a comment. Do you even remember me?? I was good friends with Wendy and Angela. Anyways, I HAD to comment and DEFEND Stephenie Meyer because I am a HUGE fan!! I have read all the books (and plan on reading them again and again) because they are simply the most entertaining books ever! I am not going to pretend and say that I know anything about her writing skills (other than the fact that she is a MASTER in captivating her audience, or atleast most of them) so I want to know what you feel it is lacking. Listen to me, I am defending her like she is my family BUT I am seriously so curious! I am so sad that Wendy and Kristin won't cave and read them...it's just NOT RIGHT :) So... I am calling you out(in a very friendly way, ofcourse :) I say, write a post and explain what is lacking in her writing skills! PROVE ME WRONG!!

and a shout out to all the Weather ladies...Please READ THE BOOKS! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT (but if you do, let me know and you can all prove me wrong too :) All the Merideth girls LOVE THEM!!