Monday, November 16, 2009

OUCH!

Every Tuesday for the past four weeks I have had a Rolfer come over and work on me. What's a Rolfer? Well, it's someone who goes to Rolfing school to become a Rolfer so people can get Rolfed by them. Sorry, I like the word "Rolf". It's actually the last name of the Doctor who invented the technique, Dr. Ida Rolf. In short, Rolfing works with your connective tissue, (fascia) to realign and balance the whole body. Some call it structural integration.


"This is the gospel of Rolfing:
When the body gets working appropriately,
the force of gravity can flow through.
Then, spontaneously, the body heals itself."
~ Ida P. Rolf

There are ten sessions, which cover the entire body. Each session lasts about two hours. Our Rolfer takes before and after pictures. I wish I could find Tyler's to show you all. The differences are astounding. I will try and remember to post mine when I'm finished. When it comes to healing your body Rolfing is pretty much amazing.

I was convinced to have this done because my husband and almost his entire family has had it done. They all spoke of how all their discomforts were cured after these ten sessions. Tyler was told by his chiropractor that he would need to continue seeing him throughout his entire life. Not anymore. After less than half the sessions my body already feels like it's working and moving how it was supposed to all along. My movements are fluid and nearly effortless. I love it. You don't realize how bad your movements are until you start functioning properly.

Sounds too good to be true? Well, it's not, BUT there is a draw back. This process is painful! The first two sessions were a walk in the park. The third wasn't bad, but left me with some bruising. The fourth almost made me quit! OK maybe not quit, but it was definitely one of the more painful things I've gone through. But, I'm learning very quickly to strengthen my mind and breath through the pain. It kind of makes me feel tough :) Though, sometimes I want to cry like a baby.

7 comments:

kimmy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Skylar and Lauren said...

hmmm...sounds interesting...what exactly do they do that bruises u and makes u want to cry like a baby???

Anonymous said...

That sounds like....fun ;) I need to get that done actually, I always have back pains it seems like.

Wendle said...

I feel like Dennis Winters talked about this process at one point in time...anyway it sounds like it's going to be great in the end. And are you still having those horrible headaches like in HS? Maybe this will get rid of them once and for all?

Kimbo said...

Oh my gosh my body hurts so bad. After inheriting a rotated vertebrae in my neck, ruining my back in high school from squats, and having a baby I am pretty much hurting. I need more info!

Unknown said...

Yes, Wendy I never lost those terrible chronic head aches from HS! After only 6 of the 10 sessions they have already gotten better. They should be eliminated completely soon!

Kimberly! You NEED to get rolfed! It really is doing wonders for me. It will fix your back for sure! Find a rolfer near you.

Celeste said...

Hey Kim! I neeeeeeeed to be ralphed on. Oh, I mean rolfed. whatever. I am totally interested! Thanks for sharing!