Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Little Personal, BUT Funny

So I finally went to the ob/gyn yesterday. I know, I procrastinated. The whole idea of it freaked me out a little bit. But that is not what I'm here to write about. So after the whole examination, we talk about birth control and I decided on one. THEN she starts giving me marriage advice. My doctor was giving me marriage advice! And it's not just oh be nice to each other, don't fight. It's like Mormon marriage advice. She asked me if I knew what the 5 love languages were. And when I said yes she asked me what mine was and what his was. Then she continues to tell me about her and her husbands, (who was actually my teacher a few years ago for my Prep For Eternal Marriage class). The best part of the whole experience is when she was reminding me of all the things I needed to do with the things she gave me and then she says, "Remember to read the book Between Husband and Wife", which is a Mormon book about sex. She, also, told me not to read it with my fiance because it was too risky or something weird. Ha ha, only in Rexburg would your ob/gyn tell you all these things at your doctors appointment! Oh and she sent me home with a bunch of Mormon documents about knowing your fiance before you get married and how to make a marriage work. Awesome.

This reminds me of another story:
As some of you might recall a very recent post on run-ins with the cops, one of my roommates was sprayed with a fire extinguisher. Before the paramedics and cops show up some guys were walking by our town home while my roommate is coughing and spitting on our front steps. Being the nice return missionaries that they were, they asked what was wrong and offered to give a blessing. My roommate accepted and they went into the town home next door to do so. When the paramedics finally show up they ask where the victim was and continue up the stairs to the front door. Before they actually get there one of my friends said, she's getting a blessing right now. Then the paramedics stop and say "Oh OK", and wait patiently outside for them to finish. Only in Rexburg.

My good ol' Canadian friend Matt, (the excellent smoke bomb maker ;) graduated and moved back to the maple leaf country yesterday. He is from Vancouver, but doesn't act or sound like a Canadian, so it was sad to remember he must return to his home land when he completed his education here in the States. He is one of the funniest and most entertaining guys I know. If you want to have a good time, give Matt a call. We had a going away BBQ on Sunday for him and our friend Rachel, who is sadly leaving us also. I guess you can only stay in Rexburg for so long. (Rachel is in the gray shirt and white capris.)
Our first camping trip of the summer occurred Saturday night. I love camping. Yay for camping! It was really sad not having Tyler there, though. There are a few couples in the group and every time I saw them cuddle I wanted to pout...but I didn't...Sarah fell and pulled me down with her. Although we fell onto sharp rocks, it was pretty funny!
Just thought I would throw a couple pics in of our last snowboarding trip of the season. Sad day.Until next time, have a great week!

11 comments:

Toby and Tammy said...

Got to love living in Mormonville!

Doubt we'll be coming to the wedding....babe isn't here yet. We'll see.

~*aShLi*~ said...

haha! we got that book for our wedding from his parents... Honestly it is pretty lame but I will send it up with allie if you want me to so you can read it ;)

Ian and Sarah said...

hi. my female doc told me the same thing! dr. ladle? well..we are so so exctied for you two love birds. see 'ya in white!

Nycole said...

Hey! My gyno did the same thing to me here! I was so freaked out! He was LDS, and yes, I did say HE. That had to be the most uncomfortable conversation of my life! Congrats on getting married, I wish you the very best!!!

Wendle said...

Really, only in a small town would that be happening :) It's quaint.

khepworth said...

Hilarious story!

So in response to your comment on my blog (from forever ago): We will stop by your reception. We're excited to see you and Kristen.

Kurt's mom was visiting the other day and she said, "guess who we got a wedding invite from?" She proceeds to tell us (it was from you/Tyler). Appearantly Kurt's parent's know your fiance's parents. So you will probably be seeing them there too.

Good luck on your big day!

Anonymous said...

Dude, that is hilarious. My doc that did mine was one of my friends mom back in Oregon, so she was cool but she didn't give me any advice on marriage, so I think that is kinda cool...but a little weird that she gave you all that advice.

rachel said...

That is why I love Rexburg!

Adrienne & Scott said...

Hey! We went private on our blog. If you want an invite to read let me know your email address, if I haven't already sent you an invite. My address is "amj_427@hotmail.com".
Adrienne & Scott Berg

Celeste said...

So, were you going to go see your mom or your doctor? With all that advice it sounds like a visiting teaching visit. You should tell your VTs not to worry, you've been visited...

Unknown said...

Adrienne,
My email address is kimweathers@gmail.com. I would leave it on your blog but I can't get on it anymore!