Friday, August 22, 2008

Picture Flop

Posting wedding pictures seemed to be an anticipated event,(or as anticipating as it can get for my little blog), to those few of you who take some time to stop by. But, alas, it seems as though it was a pretty boring post. Ha ha, I received more comments on my "controversial" Stephanie Meyer post.
That being said, I will once again post my opinion about her final book and the fantastic reviews published post-release. Honestly, I haven't read them because I hear they are a spoiler. And, I haven't read the book because since the 11th of this month we have packed, cleaned, driven 35 hrs and have seven more tomorrow, and hung out with family in Indianapolis, Spokane, and soon Rexburg. Needless to say, life has been busy. But, once we move into our new apartment within the next week and I find a decent job the book will be read. Until then, here are a few recent reads and my thoughts on them:

First Comes Love by Douglas E Brinley and Mark Ogletree
Being prepared for marriage before taking the plunge was always important to me. Maybe that's why it took me a little longer to settle down. Reading this book, along with life experience and observations, was my preparation. The writing was good...but a little old fashion with the terminology. What 20-something year old calls their boyfriend/girlfriend their sweetheart? Probably half of the information was, well for the lack of a better word, informational. The other half would most likely be more suitable for someone of a younger age, say an 18 year old engaged Mormon girl for example. So do I think you should read it? Yes, if it applies to your situation, it can only help.

Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W Kimball
Yes, it is sad that I just finished this book. And yes, you should read it if you haven't and read it again if you have.

The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Laura Schlessinger
I'll admit it was a pretty good book. I learned a bit and enjoyed reading the ridiculous things women would say/write/ask Dr. Laura. Some women out there are just plain selfish. The only thing I didn't agree with was that women have the ultimate power to change their marriage for the better. OK she didn't come out and say that, but I felt like that's what she was saying. It takes two to make a marriage work. And I'm not saying that because I have sooo much experience, but there are too many people with loads of experience that do say that. In my opinion, you women out there should take the time to read it, married or not.

What We Wish We'd Known When We Were Newlyweds by John and Kimberly Bytheway
Honestly, we yes we haven't finished it yet. We are trying to read it together, but that has been a challenging for us. So far so good. Not excellent, but good. Once, again it couldn't hurt to read, only help.

Between Husband and Wife: Gospel Perspectives on Marital Intimacy by Stephen E Lamb and Douglas E Brinley
You may have noticed a trend or two on my readings...I like to be prepared :) I was informed that his book was "lame" I believe was the direct quote from the giver of the book. So, of course I read it first thing. And although I wouldn't use that exact word, I would say most of the reading was a waste of time for me. Although, a very sheltered young girl would benefit greatly from it. I must say there was one chapter that I found interesting and informational and it was all about the specifics biologically. Anyway, onto some books that are a tad different.

Twilight "series" by Stephanie Meyer
I read all three in a couple of weeks between my measly 30 hours a week I was working this summer. So, I tried to speed through them because I DID enjoy the ridiculous yet intriguing story. All the while, I cringed at the writing "style", is what I will call it. In my opinion I did not like the writing style of Mrs., or should I say Sister Meyer? If you read a TON breeze through the series, if not wait for the movies. They will probably be more exciting.

Angles and Demons by Dan Brown
Very exciting and very well written. Read it. Although, you probably already have.

Feel the Fear And Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers
Pretty good. I learned a few good things about how fear can take over your life. I've always wanted to be less afraid of many things and I think she gave some good advice. A lot of the tactics she suggest I wouldn't do, but they seem like they would work. The whole time reading I was thinking, I'm greatful for the knowledge I have of the plan. I think it really makes life easier.

Well, I'm pretty sure that's all I've gotten through this summer. Some good, some bad, and some in between.

Now here is a nice shot of us making the trip across half the great U.S. of A.


Yes, he drove and I laid on his lap. Such a nice man :)

And here is one from the honeymoon in Mexico. I will post more of those later!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow, you have been reading almost as much as me this summer. My book list is not as "informational" as yours seemed to be--mostly just novels and professional books. Hope you made it to Rexburg alright.

Wendle said...

How was the drive? I just did the drive cross the country and boy was it LONG! I drove most of the way and my back was totally aching by the time we got to DC. Looks like the honeymoon was fun too!

Anonymous said...

You definetly read a lot more books on marriage than I ever did, and I will say that I am sure you were better prepared for it than I was ;) I too have been reading a lot this summer, but all of them were fictional fun books. I read all 1-4 of the Twilight(first time readings), the 6th and 7th Harry Potter books (first time readings), and I just checked out Angels and Demons from the library a couple days before I read your blog. I guess great minds think alike huh? I'm glad I actually have a great friend who loves to read, (and has her own opinion on books :) some of my other friends are just boring and think reading is dumb so I can't ask them what they think about the latest books, ya I know they're weird ;) Oh, have you read "The Five People You Meet in Heaven?" I just started reading it.