I love Rexburg. I love all the outdoor activities available, I love BYU-Idaho, I even love all the crazy Mormons! Here is a conversation I had in the library on campus last week: (I know I'm not a student anymore, but we don't have Internet at our place yet...)
So, I'm sitting at one of the new iMacs in the library. Why didn't they have these in the library when I was a student?! My ipod was plugged in because I had some stuff saved on it I wanted to get off. Then I hear, "Listening to anything good?" from behind me. I waited for a minute to see if someone else would respond, but soon realized the question was directed toward me. I turned around and answered that I wasn't actually listening the anything...yada, yada, yada, as the young librarian boys is trying to make conversation with me. Eventually, he comes over and sits next to me to use one of the macs and I try to ignore him, but he continues to ask questions. Finally, he leaves.
Next day, I'm at the library again. We don't have Internet and I needed to get out of the apartment. Back in the same spot in the library my little friend sits right across from me. Isn't he supposed to be filing books or something? More questions from him. Where are you from? What's your major? Oh you're graduated, in what? What is your ethnicity? Alaska? So, you're Eskimo? Oh, I didn't know Eskimos weren't Native American...And on and on. He just won't leave me alone. Eventually he notices the ring on my hand and asked me what my husband is going to school for. I thought he would leave me alone when he found out, but no.
Two days later. I'm back at the library because there is nothing left to clean in my apartment, Tyler is still gone at school, we don't have cable, and I can't read on our floor anymore, (we don't have a couch yet.) Sitting at nearly the exact same computer my friends sits right next to me again. I don't know his name because I never asked. I never asked him any questions actually. I never wanted to talk to him in the first place.
I don't know what we were talking about, but out of nowhere he asks me, "So, when do you turn 21?" I don't know where he got the number. Why would he just assume I was 20? What a weirdo.
"21?" I ask.
"Yeah 21."
"I'm 25."
"You got married at 25?!"
"Well, actually I was 24, but I turned 25 soon after."
"Why did you wait so long?!" This guy is flabbergasted.
"I don't know. Because it's a pretty serious commitment."
"Were you really picky or something?"
"Maybe, I don't know." Why does this guy even care?!
"No really, you can tell me if you were really picky."
BYU-Idaho students never cease to amaze me.
6 comments:
hey i am staying at my parents house in IF until heath gets here. we have an apt though in rexburg where all of our stuff is. i'll give you a call when i move in. it will be like a week or two
hahah! thats halirious. Yeah... for some reason that convo doesn't suprise me at this school! haha
hahahahah holy crap.... was he 18? ridic.
ha ha ha ha ha ha....that was too funny! I've had wacko stories like that too. Got to love BYU-Idaho!
Only one of the 154,987 reasons why I would rather get a kick in the face with a golf shoe than live in Rexburg!
Hey Kim and Tyler-
Rachel Hope here. I can't even remember how I found your blog but I finally decided to quit lurking and say hello.
This story is so freaking ridiculous I can't even get over it. Living on the east coast I forget how warped the minds are of those living in the bubble.
Hope you're both doing well. It looks like marriage agrees with you. Congrats!
Post a Comment