Monday, February 23, 2009

On Marriage and Such

I wish I could remember exactly where I heard this, but I can't. I just remembered it as I was thinking of church yesterday and my bank account today. I know those two don't sound connected in the least, but let me explain.

First with the thing I heard, but can't remember where. It was some sort of church lesson/fireside for young marrieds. They were discussing finances and the person speaking said something like this, "Most of you probably never had to pay any bills before you were married." I was like, WHAT?!...in my head of course. Really? Did that person just say that? Then I thought about people I knew through college. Their parents paid tuition, their cell phone, car insurance, gave them food money, etc. But I really don't think that is the norm. Then I thought about how young a lot of people get married. And the comment made a little more sense. Man, what a learning curve that would be...You're out of the high school and your parents house, you live "on your own" for a year and then you're hitched! All of the sudden, your parents cut you off, you're living with practically a stranger, (I hardly call 2 months of courtship and a 4 month engagement "knowing someone"), and all the aspects of adulthood are thrown at you all at once! I can't imagine and I don't wish it upon anyone.

I hope this doesn't sound like I am judging anyone. For those who did go through that, I'm sure it was extremely hard and good for you. Maybe I just couldn't handle such an experience myself. I took my steps little by little and eventually made a pretty good life for myself. Yeah, we're pretty broke most of the time. We have a little debt that we shouldn't have, but we don't stress about it and we manage our money and time well. Who knows why I am writing this on my blog?! Just thought I would share some thoughts. I guess I just couldn't get over that comment of most of us not paying bills before we got married! Ha ha I really really don't think that is true...

Oh and the church and bank account thing. A very young newly married girl spoke in sacrament meeting. It was interesting. And when I checked my bank account this morning it was looking good so I could pay some bills today. So, that's how I came to this topic.

On another note. My good friends Sarah and Spencer had their sister and her family in town last weekend. Their sister Janna is a photographer and she was taking some engagement photos for someone. She is extremely talented, but takes mostly family photos and kids photos. She is trying to build up a portfolio for engagements now. She asked if she could take some "engagement" photos of Tyler and me for her portfolio. We did Saturday and it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to see the end results in a couple weeks. If you are looking for some family photos, wedding or engagement photos, senior pictures or whatever check out her website here. Her prices are good and she will travel, especially to the Rexburg area where she has family.

Here is a picture she took of her and her siblings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i pretty much spend all my money on the vain things of the world.... being single has its perks.... Long live Skeletor!!!

Clinton and Jessica said...

good insight, and really feel bad for those who didn't have to really live on their own before being married to someone else. too big a step where you miss too many learning experiences and such...and you need to show me how to make handbags! I love new ones and can't afford to buy each cool one I see! It'd be tons better to just make them myself! working out at night...?!crazy...I'm too pooped from chasing the kids all day, and I just want to sit and do nothing, unless it involves something sweet, then I'm in....but I do wish our schedules coincided a little better.