Tuesday, April 7, 2009

38 Days of Torture!

Tyler and I did our own little Mormon Lent this year. We started the end of February and ended this last weekend. What did we give up, you ask? SWEETS! No cake, brownies, pie, ice cream, cookies, chocolate, soda, candy, etc.! I'm a candy person. I love candy. Twizzlers, gummy worms, swedish fish, jelly belly's, laffy taffy, skittles, starbursts, good n plenties, sour patch kids, nerts, twix, reeses, cotton candy, mike n ikes, airheads, dum dums...you get the idea. We even have a candy drawer in our bedroom!



Tyler is more of a pie, cake, brownie, and cookie type of person. So, this was quite the task for both of us.



We were offered some sort of sweet or dessert everyday it seemed like. We were given desserts from family, friends, and people in our ward. It was like no one wanted us to succeed! Some people purposefully tempted us and others found nice alternatives for us. We became big fans of all fruit smoothies. Thank you Jamba Juice for keeping us sane ;)

Last summer I was asked by some "wives" of Tyler's fellow salesmen if I wanted to do a no sweets thing with them. I laughed and said I could never do something like that. I'm really proud of Tyler and I. We have eaten a few desserts since Saturday. They were delicious, but it seems like we don't even want or crave them as much anymore. We realized that after the first few minutes of wanting them it fades and we are fine. I would say that 90% of the time it was pretty easy. But, that 10% was really hard for us!

I don't think I really lost any weight, but that wasn't my goal. I ate plenty of other food that was bad for me! Tyler thinks he dropped a couple pounds...just what he needed!

On that note. Tyler and I will be doing P90X starting the beginning of May. We are going to be so fit you won't even recognize us!

Anyway, we leave for Connecticut in a week and a half and I'm sooo excited. I like change and adventures. That's why I get so restless in Rexburg. I love leaving for the summer and experiencing a new part of the country. Hopefully my blog will be more exciting to read when I'm doing cooler things!

4 comments:

Clinton and Jessica said...

hey my brother in law just got that fitness thing too....he said we could borrow it, hope it works as well as they all say it does because I'm about due for a body makeover! good job on the no sweets thing, I have a horrible sweet tooth and I'm not sure I could go even a whole day!

Kris said...

I like sweets too, but I think I carve more often salty snacks than sweet ones. I should try dropping the salty ones for a while and see how I do.
P90X eh?! I hear it's hard, but you can handle it. Good luck with that!

We can't wait to see you guys in a couple of weeks, ok the kids are always more excited but who can blame them, they have a fun Auntie and Uncle!

rachel said...

humm... i dont think i could do that. I need sweets! they make for a happy mom! wow i cant believe you are going in just over a week! sad...i was hoping we could get together before you left. time flies!

Wendle said...

K we are going to have to figure out just far away from DC you're going to be because I definitely want to come up and visit you! Or have you guys come down here to visit. Either way...hooray for the east coast!