Monday, March 31, 2008

The Final Countdown

To be honest with everyone, Tyler and I decided to get married almost a month ago. There were some delays on the ring so we were just recently engaged. Since we have talked about it I have found myself counting down the days when the big day will arrive. Work has become boring and living in Rexburg with a bunch of girls has been torturous.

I lived with my older sister when I was a freshman in college. She became engaged during that time and I watched her go through the things that I am now dealing with. At the time I was confused at why she would break down in tears when the dishes weren't done or when there was drama in the apartment. It is all clear to me now. Knowing that I will soon not have to live in an apartment packed full of girls is like a Utopian dream and it cannot come soon enough.

Making this step in my life has been difficult for me though. For one reason or another I have been deathly scared of committing to someone I know I will spend eternity with. We have been friends for almost 2 years and dated for about 11 months of that time. In Mormon culture that is nearly a lifetime! I am a HUGE advocate of long dating periods and short engagements...obviously. Anyway, I am at ease, (for the most part) and know amazing experiences are to come.

I went to lunch the other day with one of my married friends. She was talking about future events and her feelings about them. One thing she said went something like; I decided that I can either have faith or fear. I choose faith because I know that I will be blessed and with fear things will only be harder. I'm sure she said it more eloquently, but you get the idea. I loved what she said though because I find myself fearing a lot of big decisions I have to make. She reminded me that I am the one that needs to make the choice to trust my Heavenly Father instead of fearing the future.

OK, I did want to post on my fun weekend in Utah. Tyler went down for some work training while I needed to desperately find a dress. We stayed at one of his old mission companions place, which was really nice. He and his wife were so sweet and they have the cutest twin children. My younger sister lives in Provo so we went out on Saturday on a mission my mother said needed to be completed. The first bridal shop I found the dress. To make sure though I went to another shop and a bridal fair, which was fun. I went to lunch with an old friend which was really nice. That evening Tyler, my sister, and I went to this Hindu Temple in Spanish Fork near the elementary my sister teaches at. They have this holiday called The Festival of Colors. My friend wrote all about it on her blog if you want to check it out. Basically, it is a celebration of spring and everyone throws "colors" at each other. Tyler and I watched from above because we didn't have appropriate clothing for the occasion.


The view out my window on the drive down:


Walking up to the Hindu Temple:


What a pimp :)


One of the dancers:


Inside the temple:


I saw these people walk in and I thought it was hilarious:


My sister in the crowd below (nice face she's making!):


The lighting of Holika and the colors starting to be thrown:


This view is from the balcony on the temple where we were watching:


Chanting and dancing after the powder settled:


My sister covered in color:

3 comments:

Kris said...

oh yes, I remember the days! It's a hard time, very stressful and exciting too. I think the words you meant to use in stead of " at ease" was " at peace" and think it is fitting since I'm sure that feeling came as an answer to your prayers. At least you aren't going to be engaged for 6 months that was why it was sooo hard for me. Any way I'm glad you had fun with Alli and you say you found a dress? Well you'll have to tell me about it.

Allie said...

Yeah...that is a great face. I love the picture you took where you can't even see any of the people below, all you can see is colorful powder. It was VERY hard to breathe down there. I have pictures on my blog as well.

Toby and Tammy said...

Totally agree with K. I remember how hard it was to deal with my roommates or finals before I got married.
You will love married life! I am super excited for you guys.