Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Thirty-One Days and Counting


I feel like there are still a million things to do, but I don't know what they are. It's comforting to know that my mom and Tyler's mom, Karen, are helping out so much. Speaking of Karen, she threw me a bridal shower this weekend while my mom was in town and it was great. She did an excellent job!

Anyway, I was thinking the other day of how much money some people spend on weddings. And it is appalling that on average, US couples spend $28,732 for their wedding, while their wedding budget is 50% less. This does not include cost for a honeymoon or engagement ring! Even in Rexburg the average cost is $20,025. Pretty crazy huh? I don't know exactly how much we will be spending, but I know it won't be anywhere near there. What a waist of money!

I am doing these all natural allergy treatments with Tyler and his family. It is called NAET, or Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques. A lot of doctors don't believe in the technique, but 2/3 of the testimonials from people treated by it have had very positive responses. I know that Tyler's dad, Sid, has had good results. So, why not try it out?

Anyway, we go down to Pocatello once a week to do these treatments. Eventually it should get rid of my lactose intolerance problem! Last week I was treated for calcium. Apparently I'm slightly allergic to it. After the treatment I couldn't eat or touch things with calcium in them for 25 hours. This included water from the tap. Tyler was treated for copper, which meant to tap water for him either.

Before this treatment I never really thought about the water I drink. I mostly drink tap water, but I buy bottled water to take to work. I never thought about the minerals that are in the water I drink every day. The most abundant minerals dissolved in water are salts of calcium, magnesium, strontium, ferrous iron, manganese, and copper. But types of minerals and the amounts depend greatly on where you live and where the water is being retrieved from.

So, the day after our treatment I go to Wal-Mart and buy some bottled water. Little did I know that not all bottled waters are purified or filtered! All these years of buying water and some are just taking from a stream and put in a bottle. Of course, I new that Fiji water is "Untouched by man. Until you drink it." but why is that so great? Some argue that the minerals in the water are good for us and we should not purify it. But, the amount of minerals in the water are so minuscule that we would have the drink tremendous amounts for it to be any good for us. There are more things in the water that are bad for us than good. The water I bought was Arrowhead, nice and cheap. They don't filter their water, but don't worry they get it from mountain streams in the US and Canada so it has to be good! Just like water from Fiji is so great!

OK enough with the sarcasm. Lesson learned; make sure the water is filtered before it is put in a bottle when you don't want any minerals in it. Unless you buy your water from Costco, it is filtered and then they put the minerals back in...weird.

We are going to Pocatello today to see if we passed our treatment. Wish us luck! If we don't pass we have to do this one again :(

My mom took some pics of Tyler and I this weekend. I wish I could post them, but she hasn't emailed them to me yet...sorry! Check back later.

I hope this blog wasn't too boring, but I felt like I should share my new found knowledge. Stay tuned for next weeks "Why smoking is bad for you". It should be a good one.


...no matter how good it looks!


P.S. It snowed in Rexburg today.

2 comments:

Dnnr said...

Ha ha - it snowed :P

I'm just messin' - that's too bad. Good luck with all the wedding arrangements and the allergy treatment!

melissa said...

i'm seriously going to be so bummed if it's snowing for the wedding.... so excited to see you guys. ps loved this post.. hahahah can't wait for the smoking one